Do you get in a rut with your wardrobe? Do you box yourself in with wearing the same combos, like always this shirt with that cardigan and always those earrings with that dress? Do you have mornings where you stare at your closet much like the fridge, hoping an outfit will just magically present itself?
I have been feeling this a lot lately mainly because I’m pregnant and the bump is out there and I’m adjusting to my new body. But I have felt this occasionally whether I had a baby bump or not (major post-pardom-body dilemma too!) So lately I’ve taken some time to play in my closet and experiment with new outfit combos. I tried to approach my wardrobe with fresh eyes and physically move my clothing around. Then I snapped some photos of my new outfits to reference on those days when I have no imagination. It has been so helpful!
Here are some tips:
- Set aside 20-30 mins to work (make it extra fun by having a friend over to bounce ideas off of!)
- Take one top (shirt, tank, blouse, etc) at a time and see how many different bottoms (jeans, skirts, shorts, etc) and/or outer garments (cardigans, vests, jackets, etc) you can pair it with.
- Hang/layer garments together on one hanger as you would wear them
- Bonus: add a necklace or a scarf to the outfit by hanging it on the hanger too
- Hang outfit up on a door jam or empty closet rack and take a picture
- Keep all your outfit pictures in an album on your phone to reference each day
- Branch out and take risks! Even if you’re not sure, try it anyway. If you don’t like it, delete the pic. But you may be surprised what does work and you do end up liking!